Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 22, 2015

Gumbo

I love to eat some gumbo. Who doesn't?! I, however, love to add veggies that aren't suppose to be in gumbo like corn on the cob & mushrooms. I have been using this recipe that I found years ago on my favorite recipe website, allrecipes.com. This recipe can be found under "Cajun Chicken & Sausage Gumbo". It makes a flavorful roux if you make it right. My only thing with this recipe is making the roux with oil. I'm not a fan of oil so I used butter instead (channelled my inner Paula as I wrote that). I like to add shrimp to it cuz I love me some seafood. Make some hot, sticky rice and pour it right on top.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 large onion, diced
1 large bell pepper, diced (most use green, I like to add yellow or orange to add some color)
3 stalks of celery, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 tbsp creole seasoning
1 small package (about 15) okra, sliced
1-8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
3 small corn on the cob, cut into quarters 
1 14 oz. can of diced tomatoes
1 lb andouille sausage, sliced, 1/4 thick slices
2 lbs 31-40 size uncooked shrimp, peeled & devined
1 lb chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into cubes
1 bay leaf
6 cups chicken broth
Salt & Pepper

DIRECTIONS
1. Heat butter in a big stock pot on medium heat. Whisk in flour when butter is hot. Continue to whisk mixture until it is a medium brown color (a little darker than chocolate milk). Be careful not to burn your roux! If you see black specks then you will need to start over. 
2. Stir in onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic, and creole seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes. Add in chicken broth and bay leaf. Finish by adding in chicken, sausage, shrimp, mushrooms, okra, tomatoes, and corn on the cob. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Bring to a boil, then simmer on low for 45 minutes - 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Skim off any foam that comes to the top the last 20 minutes. 
4. ENJOY over hot rice!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment