Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chicken Curry

Blog #17

I learned how to make this type of chicken curry from my mom's sister, my Aunty Nive.  We never used measurements so when I made it for dinner on Sunday night, I decided to do it so I could put it on my blog.  I hope I've done Aunty Nive proud with my memory of how to make this curry. It has been 11 years since we've last made it together.

I usually make more than what's needed so I can have leftovers the next day.  I love when I can just pull something out of the fridge and reheat it in the microwave. Who doesn't love to do that? It's a great meal to take to a potluck; more for your buck!  It's also a great meal to take to a friend or family member who is sick or recovering from surgery, birth, etc. 

INGREDIENTS

5-6 boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, cubed (2-3 chicken breasts if you prefer it)
5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 carrots, peeled and cut into circles
1-2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
1/2 medium size sweet onion, diced
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 teaspoon minced ginger
2 tablespoons cooking oil
3 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1-2 cups of water

DIRECTIONS

1.  In a large pot, heat oil over med-high heat.  Add garlic, ginger, onion, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper, and 1 teaspoon of curry powder.  Saute for about 5 minutes.
2. Add chicken, 2 teaspoons of curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper.  Stir.  Let chicken cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3.  Add potatoes and carrots.  Stir.  Add 1-2 cups of water; only enough to cover meat and vegetables.  Let simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are cooked through.
4.  Add 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and stir.  Let cook  for 5 minutes or until soup has thickened.  If you prefer to have the sauce thicker, then follow step 4 again by adding another can of cream of mushroom soup (It adds a little bit of flavor then your usual thickening method of cornstarch and water or flour and water).

1 comment:

  1. That looks yum! I'm gonna have to try that. I've made curry a couple times and I buy the "Golden Curry" sauce mix. I never measure though and it always comes out watery! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete