Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Broccoli Cole Slaw/ Saimin Salad

Blog # 10


My island people know this recipe as Saimin Salad.  Paula Deen calls it Broccoli Cole Slaw.  My friend Melissa Weaver, who made it at one of their BBQ's in 2008, told me where I could find this great recipe.  I was so happy to have some ( I probably ate half of the bowl), especially since the last time I had it was in 2000 with my Uncle Ron Pritchard (R.I.P) at DDW (Don't Drink the Water) at the Pago Plaza in American Samoa.  I love it because you don't have to cut up cabbage all day long.  It is so much faster with this recipe.  It tastes exactly the same, just less time consuming.  I added a picture of what the packaging looks like that is used in the recipe.






INGREDIENTS


Salad:
1 bags (3-ounce) Ramen Noodle Soup
3/4 stick butter
1/4 cup slivered almonds
1 bags (12-ounce) bags broccoli cole slaw (in the bagged salad section of the grocery store) or regular cole slaw mix
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
Chopped green onions, for garnish

Dressing Mix:

3/4 cup canola oil

1/4 cup brown or white sugar

1/4 cup apple cidar vinegar

1 ramen noodle seasoning packet

1 tsp sesame seed oil

DIRECTIONS

1.  Put the ramen noodles in a bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
2.  In a large skillet, melt butter over low/medium heat. Add the crushed noodles and slivered almonds to the skillet and saute, stirring occasionally (keep temperature at low/medium heat). 
3.  Whisk together all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. 
4.  Place the shredded broccoli/coleslaw into bowl and toss with the noodles, almonds, and sunflower seeds. Pour dressing over salad just to coat. Toss right before eating. Garnish with chopped onions.





2 comments:

  1. THANKS Cheryl! Tali's Grandma and Aunty Christine make this too, but I never got a chance to ask for the recipe. Can't wait to make this!!

    ReplyDelete