Powered By Blogger

Monday, January 3, 2011

Deep Fried Mushrooms

Blog #2

This recipe I found on http://www.allrecipes.com/.  I use to use this packet from the commissary where you just had to add water, but for some reason, they stopped selling it there and haven't found it anywhere else.

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 egg
1 cup of water
1 pound of mushrooms
2 cups of oil for frying

DIRECTIONS:

1.  In a medium bowl, stir together flour, water, egg, garlic salt, and pepper until smooth.  Batter will seem a little soupy, but that's how it should be.

2.  Heat oil in a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat.  Even better, if you own a deep fryer! Test to see if oil is hot by frying a drop of batter.  If it sizzles and floats to the top, the oil is ready.

3.  Dip mushrooms into the batter and then place in the hot oil.  Fry a few at a time so they are not crowded.  Cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.  Remove from oil with a slotted spoon or tongs and drain on paper towels.

*You can serve them with a side of ranch dipping sauce or dress it up by mixing the mushrooms in your favorite sauce straight out of the fryer.  Personally, I like to mix them in Buffalo Wild Wings Mango Habanero sauce and serve them with a side of ranch, an idea I got from Robert Bowles (my cousin's husband) and now an all-time favorite of my uncle Sam Gadalla.

*Make sure you cook them right before chow time.  These mushrooms don't last long and just like all things fried, the "crunchy" disappears after it sits out too long!

3 comments:

  1. I love allrecipes :) my recipe box there has over 1000 recipes in it. It'll be fun to see what you make Cheryl.... post pictures too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Buffalo Wild Wings. I'm gonna have to order some of their sauces online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Soifua. Post pictures!! So I can drool over my laptop before I get to go out and buy all the ingredients..haha! Can't wait to try the mushrooms:)

    ReplyDelete