Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Orange Stir-fry Rice

So, tonight I decided to experiment with dinner.  I had chicken pulled out and I knew that I wanted to use the Con Culantro Y Achiote seasoning (Coriander & Annatto) in my rice.  For those of you wondering what the hell Annatto is, don't worry I had to look it up myself.  Annatto is a derivative of the achiote trees, used to produce a yellow to orange food coloring and also as a flavoring. Its scent is described as "slightly peppery with a hint of nutmeg" and flavor as "slightly sweet and peppery". 


My end product turned out to be a cross between paella and fried rice.  We got introduced to this seasoning by one of Gary's friends, co-worker, chief brother who worked with him at TPU in Great Lakes.  His wife is from Guam and he said that this is how they always make their rice.  I thought that it was so delicious.  So for today's entry, I decided to post this recipe.  I decided it to call it I don't have my friends from Guam so this might already be a Guamanian dish.  Please let me know if it is.  I added a picture of the seasoning so you know what to look for when and if you decide to buy it.  We have found it anywhere Goya products are sold - the commissary, Super WalMart, various Asian markets.  So for now, I'm calling this recipe Orange Stir-fry Rice.  If anyone comes up with a better name or if it already has a name, please share!




INGREDIENTS


5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cubed
2 tablespoons of oil
2 packets of Goya Con Culantro Y Achiote seasoning (I believe 8 comes in a pack)
2 cups of rice
2 cups of water
1 1 lb. bag of frozen stir-fry peppers with onion
Garlic powder, salt, pepper to season


DIRECTIONS


1.  Cook two cups of rice in rice cooker with 1 packet of seasoning and water.  Make sure to stir up seasoning and water before adding your water to your rice.
2.  Put oil into a frying pan with chicken.  Season with seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.  Once, chicken is cooked, add your stir-fry peppers.  Remove from heat after chicken is cooked until rice is done.
3.  Once rice is done, add rice to chicken and peppers.  Stir until it is completely mixed together.


No comments:

Post a Comment