Powered By Blogger

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Fish Cake Dip

Blog #4

I'm sure some of you are thinking to yourselves "What in the world?"  But don't knock it til you try it!  The best part about this recipe, is there is only 4 ingredients.  SUPER EASY! Fish cake, also known as kamaboko, is usually in your bowl of saimin.  You know the Kim Chee bowls or the Hot bowls that you can get just about anywhere in the world in any grocery store.  Fish cake is usually circular, a half moon, or rectanglar shape with a white center and pink around it.  If you've ever had a saimin from L & L's, then you should know what it is.  I added this picture to show all of you what a red kamaboko or fish cake looks like whole.
You can find it pretty much anywhere in Hawai'i and at any Asian market in the rest of the US.  Trust me, I found some in Illinois and there is all of 2 Asian markets there.  But what is kamaboko?  Kamaboko is a type of cured surimi, a Japanese processed seafood product, in which various white fish are pureed, formed into distinctive loaves, and then steamed until fully cooked and firm. Is it fishy?  Absolutely not! Just make sure you give this dip a try.  And if you are not comfortable calling it "fish cake dip"  then call it "kamaboko dip" or just tell everyone it's "crab dip" to save yourself the trouble of having to explain it over and over and over again what the hell it is and it will look like crab since it is pink and white just like imitation crab.

I got this recipe from Tasanee's dad's sister's friend many years ago.  I can't remember her name to save my life but she was a beautiful local girl who lived in Ewa Beach.  Her husband was this big macho man who worked at the Halawa prison.  They were always very nice and I enjoyed going to their house and trying new food.

INGREDIENTS

1 red fish cake loaf
5-7 strings of green onion
2-4 tablespoons of mayonnaise
1 box of Ritz crackers

DIRECTIONS

1.  Dice up fish cake.  It helps to use a food processor (so much easier). Place in a medium size mixing bowl.
2.  Finely cut up green onion and place in mixing bowl with fish cake.
3.  Add 2 tablespoon of mayo and stir.  You want the same consistency as tuna salad or egg salad.  So add another tablespoon or 2 of mayo if needed.
4.  Chill and serve with ritz crackers.

I hope that you all will give it a try.  My aunt and cousin told me once that they didn't like fish cake and I told them that the fish cake dip I make will definitely make them like fish cake.  And it did.  I mean they won't eat it in the bowl of saimin but they sure can eat some fish cake dip.  Make sure to leave comments on this one for me.  I really want to hear what you all have to say about it when and if you try it, whether it is a positive or negative comment.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! I love kamaboko! I'll have to try this, this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete